This recipe is all natural and healthy yet tastes like decadent mint chocolate chip ice cream.
We love everything mint and had a craving for chocolate chip mint ice cream.
Since dairy free ice cream is very expensive – and we didn’t have any anyway – we decided to make our own from a variety of ingredients we already had.
This recipe combines many of our favorites – including mint – and uses a small amount of spinach for color and a healthy kick. The flavor of the spinach is so mild that it is completely masked by the mint.
- 14 oz rich cream of choice (for vegan, dairy free, use coconut cream)
- ½ cup fresh spinach leaves (optional for color)
- 4 T sugar (add more if you prefer it sweeter)
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract (add more if stronger flavor desired)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips (note: for vegan, dairy free use dairy free chips)
- Combine ¼ of the coconut cream with spinach in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add sugar, peppermint extract, vanilla and remaining cream. Blend again until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a freezer safe container (such as a metal pan) and place in freezer until set (about 3-6 hours).